The city of bhog, dhak and durgautsav



It's 4am and you’re listening to Birendra Krishna Bhadra’s “Mahisasura Mardini”. Did you feel that? “Durgautsav eshe geche” (Durga Puja is here).

A Mahalaya follower since I learned how to spell alphabets and it still manages to mesmerize me making me wonder why every time I hear Chandipath, a shiver of excitement starts coursing through my veins creating a childlike glee in my eyes. A few trips to the magical city of Kolkata and the mystery was unravelled.

Being a Probashi Bengali through and through, I have contributed my fair share of ideas on how to celebrate this spiritual fiesta in our pujo committees and they have been nothing short of awe-inspiring nature. Yet part of my heart will always belong to the city of joy for the sole reason of their “baaro maash e tero pujo” logic. While the recitation of Maa Durga’s triumph over the diabolical Mahisasura leaves you with a rush of adrenaline, it’s the post mahalaya week of pure hoopla that adds a cherry on top.

The grandiose manner in which they commemorate and honour this sacred win of good over evil for 6 days is always worth the wait. With every passing year, the idols and pandal themes have gone from bigger to completely elaborate, ranging from Egyptian pyramids, Akshar Dham temple to even Hogwarts castle from Harry Potter. Like I said, ELABORATE! But it’s the Belur Math Durga Puja that has always managed to grab eyeballs. I believe it’s the concoction of Sandhi pujo, intoxicating beats of dhak, devotees performing aarti at the banks of Ganges and a stunning view of Hooghly River that draws you in to its festive glory. If one wants to experience authentic Durga Puja, the place to be is the one and only­­: the City of Joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE HAD TODAY!

Passion is necessity

Goodbye My Babyboy